[petsc-users] Fwd: Convergence problems

Oliver Browne oliver.browne at upm.es
Wed Mar 19 12:03:59 CDT 2014

To Whom It May Concern,

I am using petsc to solve an eigenvalue problem

  Jq = oq

I am obtaining the Jacobian matrix, J, from solving

F(x) = 0

and by numerically perturbing the solution to give

J = dF(x)/dx = F(x + delta) + F(x) / delta             (1)

I use the PETSc to solve Ax=b in the Arnoldi iteration to build the
Hessenberg matrix.

For small problems (1000 DoF) I obtain accurate results in a timely
fashion by using ILU(2) and GMRES.

However, when I move to bigger problems (60000 Dof) I can't get the
GMRES to converge. 5 GMRES steps take an HOUR (it is incredible!!!). I
have tried modifying the levels for ILU but with no success and a few
different preconditioners. I have also tried some of the MatGetOrdering
to improve the stability. I believe that it is down to the structure of
my matrix, because I have tried similar size matrices obtained from a
different code which creates the analytical Jacobian (has a different
topology), of which I can get a convergence to GMRES in about 3 mins. I
have attached a figure showing the structure of the matrix for a smaller
problem but obtained with equation (1) above.

I would be very grateful if you could give me some advice in choosing a
different preconditioner/solver etc or anything else which could help.

Thanks in advance

Olls