[petsc-users] When does DIVERGED_LINE_SEARCH Happen?

Dafang Wang dafang.wang at jhu.edu
Mon Mar 17 17:19:54 CDT 2014

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your tips. I have read the webpage you mentioned many times
before, but still I have been stuck on the line-search problem for weeks.

I cannot guarantee my Jacobian is correct but I believe an incorrect
Jacobian is very unlikely. My Jacobian-calculation code has been under
test for a year with both analytical and realistic models, and the
results have been good until recently when I ran a very realistic
physical model.

Also, I looked up the implementation of SNESSolve_NEWTONLS() in "ls.c".
According to the algorithm, when the function "SNESLineSearchApply()"
does not succeed, one may encounter two possible outcomes:
CONVERGED_SNORM_RELATIVE (if the search step is too small) or otherwise,
DIVERGED_LINE_SEARCH. Does this mean that both these two outcomes
indicate that the line search fails?

I ask this question because my simulation encountered many
CONVERGED_SNORM_RELATIVE. I treated them as if my nonlinear system
converged, accepted the nonlinear solution, and then proceeded to the
next time step of my simulation. Apparently, such practice has worked
well in most cases, (even when I encountered suspicious
DIVERGED_LINE_SEARCH behaviors). However, I wonder if there are any
potential pitfalls in my practice such as missing a nonlinear solve
divergence and taking a partial solution as the correct solution.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Best,
Dafang