[petsc-users] Spatial distribution of the residual after an implicit TS timestep

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Mar 15 18:24:15 CDT 2014

   You can write a custom monitor and set it with TSMonitorSet()

    This routine would call TSGetSNES() then SNESGetSolution() then call SNESComputeFunction() then call VecView() on the result.

    But note that just because the residual is big somewhere doesn’t mean the error need be.

    You could also run with -snes_monitor_residual to see how the residual is being reduced inside the nonlinear solve (that is, what parts of the residual are most stubborn).

    Barry