[petsc-users] DMPlex and Tao

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 14:53:36 CDT 2014

Hi,

This might be a silly question, but I am developing a finite element code
to solve the non-negative diffusion equation. I am using the DMPlex
structure and plan on subjecting the problem to a bounded constraint
optimization to ensure non-negative concentrations. Say for instance, I
want to solve:

min || K*u - F ||^2
subject to u >= 0
             M*u = 0

Where K is the Jacobian, F the residual, u the concentration, and M some
equality constraint matrix. I know how to do this via Tao, but my question
is can Tao handle Mats and Vecs created via DMPlex? Because from the SNES
and TS examples I have seen in ex12, ex62, and ex11, it seems there are
solvers tailored to handle DMPlex created data structures.

Thanks,
Justin