[petsc-users] a strange bug on using DMDA_STENCIL_BOX

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 10 23:09:39 CDT 2014

On Jul 10, 2014, at 10:48 PM, Sun, Hui <hus003 at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> I see. Should I use the command MatMPIAIJSetPreallocation to preallocate the memory?
>
> By the way, it seems that using DMDA_STENTIL_BOX with stencil width 3 will have 4 times as much memory allocation than using DMDA_STENTIL_STAR, is that supposed to be the problem?

  It is not really a “problem”. Since the box stencil includes the corners it naturally will use many more locations in the vector. You should just use the stencil that matches the stencil you are using so if you are using a stencil that only sticks out directly on each side and doesn’t use the corners you should use the star stencil. It uses much less memory. If your discretization requires using the corners then you need the box stencil.

> However, here is another code, 2D poisson, with 3 degrees of freedom on each node. I tried the same thing, both DMDA_STENTIL_BOX and DMDA_STENTIL_STAR with stencil width 3. But this one doesn't seem to produce the same kind of problem.

  Yes ILU(0) is very problem dependent, it is mostly used for Poisson type problems (though it is much slower for large problems than using good algorithms like multigrid).

  Barry