[petsc-users] Four dimensions

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 07:12:39 CST 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 5:42 AM, Torquil Macdonald Sørensen <
torquil at gmail.com> wrote:

> How well is PETSC suited for solving elliptic PDEs on four-dimensional
> domains? Looking at the list of commands, I see e.g. DMDACreate{1d,2d,3d}
> with no 4d version. On the other hand, I see you have
> VecGetArray{1d,2d,3d,4d}.
>
> Is there e.g. a convenient way of using the PETSCs data structures for
> solving the Poisson equation on a 4d "cube"?

There is no 4d DA. The problem is that the routines for communication are
not generic in dimension. I see at least
two avenues:

  1) Use DMPlex

       This would have the communication done, but none of the nice array
extraction routines

  2) Write the 4d routines for communication setup

       This sounds like a fair amount of work (there have already been some
failures), but its not hard to understand. We
       could help if this is what you want to do.

Are you looking to use 4d arrays to interact with it?

    Matt