[petsc-users] Speedup studies using DMPlex

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 04:07:32 CST 2014

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 7:34 PM, Justin Chang <jychang48 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So I am trying to run a speed-up (i.e., strong scaling) study by solving a
> diffusion problem much like in SNES ex12.c, and plan on using up to 1k
> cores on LANL's Mustang HPC system. However, it seems that DMPlexDistribute
> is taking an extremely long time. I am using -petscpartitioner_type
> parmetis on command line but it seems to make over 50% of the code
> execution time. Is this normal or is there a "better" way to conduct such a
> study?

0) What mesh are you using? The most scalable way of running now is to read
and distribute a coarse mesh and use regular refinement in parallel.

1) This is pure overhead in the sense that its one-to-many communication,
and its done once, so most people do not report the time.

2) I agree its too slow. There is a branch in next that completely reworks
distribution. We have run it up to 8K cores on Hector and
    it is faster.

3) Early next year we plan to have parallel startup working, where each
process reads a chunk of the mesh, and then its redistributes
    for load balance.