[petsc-users] ex42 question

Dave May dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 01:16:49 CDT 2014

Hi Sang,

The only assumptions made in ex42 are about the mesh topoology, e.g. it
assumes the mesh can be defined via an IJK type representation. Assembly of
the weak form makes no assumptions about elements being affine, or elements
having uniform spacing. The quadrature used is also sufficiently accurate
that you can deform the mesh and the weak form will be correctly
integrated.

I would caution you about using this type of element Q1Q1 for any science
applications which are driven purely by buoyancy variations (e.g. dirichlet
and neumann boundary conditions are of zero value). This element uses
Bochev stabilization and exhibits an error in div(u) which is O(h). The
constant associated with this error can be huge. Also, the constant is very
much dependent on the type of boundary conditions you use.

Actually, one of the tests which shows how careful you should be is similar
to what you tried. Apply u_i n_i=0 on all laterial walls and the base.
Apply tau_{ij} t_j = 0 (no normal flow, zero shear stress on the walls) on
the lateral sides and base. Set \sigma_{ij} =  0 on the surface. e.g. you
want to model flow in a cup of water - the solution should be exactly zero.
As Matt pointed out, this element doesn't have element wise conservative
properties. Run this experiment, and you will see the fluid "compacts" at
the base the domain. Increase the density of the fluid and you will see the
"compaction" increases in size. Add a jump horizontal layering in the
viscosity and you will see "compaction" at the interface.

All these compaction like flow features are local and completely associated
with poor enforcement of div(u). If you refine the mesh, the div(u) error
decreases and the flow field approaches something incompressible. I
strongly encourage you to always monitor div(u) in every element and
consider whether this value is appropriate given your science application.
If its not appropriate, you need to refine the mesh. I gave up with this
element as to obtain meaningful solution I determined I would need 1500^3
elements....

Cheers,
  Dave