[petsc-users] Trying to write Fortran version of ksp/ex34.c

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 14:54:34 CDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Åsmund Ervik <asmund.ervik at ntnu.no> wrote:

>  Hi Matt,
>
> I'm handling the null space in the same way as ex34, that is, I remove the
> null space (containing just the constant functions, I think) in both
> ComputeRHS and ComputeMatrix.

That should be fine.

> However, I just tried commenting out those lines (MatNullSpaceCreate,
> MatSetNullSpace or MatNullSpaceRemove, MatNullSpaceDestroy) and that has no
> effect. The same happens in ex34.c, commenting out the lines fixing the
> null space makes no difference. Does that make sense?

It appears that the RHS in ex34 already has zero mean. Its possible for
some Krylov iteration to preserve this property, but
I think if you played around with solvers you could find one that screws it
up without null space removal.

> Are these examples intended to be run with some special options? I see in
> the makefile (e.g. runex34) that there are a lot of multigrid options, but
> I don't think that should matter?
>
> Also, could you confirm that ex34.c does zero Neumann BCs? The header was
> a bit confusing, it says u=0 but I assume it should be du/dn = 0 (zero
> normal derivative)?

Yes, its pure Neumann. Note that this is an easy analytical solution, so
you can check your example.

   Matt