[petsc-users] Use parallel PETSc linear solver in a sequential program

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 31 17:06:04 CDT 2013

On Oct 31, 2013, at 4:44 PM, Qin Lu <lu_qin_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Jed,
>
> The program is sequential so the CSR matrix is only constructed in the master processor. You said: "You should really partition the *mesh*, then assemble the local parts in parallel", do you mean I should parallelize the whole program (using domain decomposition, for instance)? That will be my next step. But for now I need to make the parallel solver work in a sequential program.

   This is really not something that the MPI parallel programming model is in anyway suited towards. The process of taking your sequential code and its sequential matrix and making the matrix be parallel is completely wasted effort instead

   if you want to “try out” parallel solvers to see how they scale on your matrices then you should

1)   Run your sequential program and have it use MatView() and VecView() on the matrix (ices) and vector(s) right hand side with the binary viewer into a file

2)   Use src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ex10.c to load the matrix and vector from the file and solve the system in parallel on any number of processes.

   If you are happy with how the parallel linear solvers work then you rewrite the code to handle the mesh in parallel and generate the matrix in parallel using MatSetValues() etc.

   Barry