[petsc-users] using petsc tools to solve isolated irregular domains with finite difference

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 13:43:05 CDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Bishesh Khanal <bisheshkh at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did not call DMCreateMatrix() before when using just dmda (and it is
> working). In any case, I added a call to DMCreateMatrix() now but still
> there are problems. Here are the code snippets and the error I get:

Then you were allowing it to be called automatically by PETSc, and it would
have been this time as well.

> [...]
>     }
>     ierr = PetscSectionSetUp(s);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>     ierr = DMSetDefaultSection(dm, s);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>     ierr = PetscSectionDestroy(&s);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>     ierr = DMCreateMatrix(dm,&A);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>
>  //Set up KSP:
>     ierr = KSPCreate(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,&ksp);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>     ierr = KSPSetDM(ksp,dm);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>     ierr =
> KSPSetComputeOperators(ksp,computeMatrix2dSection,(void*)&testPoisson);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>     ierr =
> KSPSetComputeRHS(ksp,computeRhs2dSection,(void*)&testPoisson);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>     ierr = KSPSetFromOptions(ksp);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>     ierr = KSPSolve(ksp,NULL,NULL);CHKERRQ(ierr);

> The computeMatrix2dSection function has:
>
> ierr = KSPGetDM(ksp,&da);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>     ierr = DMDAGetLocalInfo(da,&info);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>     ierr = DMGetDefaultGlobalSection(da,&gs);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>     for(PetscInt j = info.ys; j<info.ys+info.ym; ++j) {
>         for(PetscInt i = info.xs; i<info.xs+info.xm; ++i) {
>             if (isPosInDomain(ctx,i,j)) {
>                 ierr = DMDAGetCellPoint(da,i,j,0,&point);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>                 ierr = PetscSectionGetOffset(gs,point,&row);
>                 ierr = PetscSectionGetDof(gs,point,&dof);
>                 for(PetscInt cDof = 0; cDof < dof; ++cDof) {
>                     num = 0;
>                     row+=cDof;
>                     col[num] = row;         //(i,j) position
>                     v[num++] = -4;
>                     if(isPosInDomain(ctx,i+1,j)) {
>                         ierr =
> DMDAGetCellPoint(da,i+1,j,0,&point);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>                         ierr = PetscSectionGetOffset(gs,point,&col[num]);
>                         col[num] += cDof;
>                         v[num++] = 1;
>                     }
>                     if(isPosInDomain(ctx,i-1,j)) {
>                         ierr =
> DMDAGetCellPoint(da,i-1,j,0,&point);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>                         ierr = PetscSectionGetOffset(gs,point,&col[num]);
>                         col[num] += cDof;
>                         v[num++] = 1;
>                     }
>                     if(isPosInDomain(ctx,i,j+1)) {
>                         ierr =
> DMDAGetCellPoint(da,i,j+1,0,&point);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>                         ierr = PetscSectionGetOffset(gs,point,&col[num]);
>                         col[num] += cDof;
>                         v[num++] = 1;
>                     }
>                     if(isPosInDomain(ctx,i,j-1)) {
>                         ierr =
> DMDAGetCellPoint(da,i,j-1,0,&point);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>                         ierr = PetscSectionGetOffset(gs,point,&col[num]);
>                         col[num] += cDof;
>                         v[num++] = 1;
>                     }
>                     ierr =
> MatSetValues(A,1,&row,num,col,v,INSERT_VALUES);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>                 }
>             }
>         }
>     }
>     ierr = MatAssemblyBegin(A,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>     ierr = MatAssemblyEnd(A,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>
> But this is not working. For e.g. for a 6X6 grid size I get the following

Okay, here is how to debug this:

  0) Go to a single scalar equations to make things easier

  1) Use MatView(A, PETSC_VIEWER_STDOUT_WORLD), which should output a 36
row matrix with
       the preallocated nonzero pattern, filled with zeros

  2) Make sure this is the pattern you want

  3) Run in the debugger with -start_in_debugger

  4) When you get the error, see

    a) If the (i, j) is one that should be setting a value

    b) Why this (i, j) was not preallocated