[petsc-users] using petsc tools to solve isolated irregular domains with finite difference

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 07:40:30 CDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 5:30 AM, Bishesh Khanal <bisheshkh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:21 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com>wrote:

>>> Thanks, with the (short) experience of using Petsc so far and being
>>> familiar with the awesomeness (quick and helpful replies) of this mailing
>>> list, I would like to give it a try. Please give me some pointers to get
>>> going for the example case I mentioned above. A simple example of using
>>> PetscSection along with DMDA for finite volume (No FEM) would be great I
>>> think.
>>> Just a note: I'm currently using the petsc3.4.3 and have not used the
>>> development version before.
>>>

>> Okay,
>>
>> 1)  clone the repository using Git and build the 'next' branch.
>>
>> 2) then we will need to create a PetscSection that puts unknowns where
>> you want them
>>
>> 3) Setup the solver as usual
>>
>> You can do 1) an 3) before we do 2).
>>
>> I've done 1) and 3). I have one .cxx file that solves the system using
> DMDA (putting identity into the rows corresponding to the cells that are
> not used).
> Please let me know what I should do now.

Okay, now write a loop to setup the PetscSection. I have the DMDA
partitioning cells, so you would have
unknowns in cells. The code should look like this:

PetscSectionCreate(comm, &s);
DMDAGetNumCells(dm, NULL, NULL, NULL, &nC);
PetscSectionSetChart(s, 0, nC);
for (k = zs; k < zs+zm; ++k) {
  for (j = ys; j < ys+ym; ++j) {
    for (i = xs; i < xs+xm; ++i) {
      PetscInt point;

      DMDAGetCellPoint(dm, i, j, k, &point);
      PetscSectionSetDof(s, point, dof); // You know how many dof are on
each vertex
    }
  }
}
PetscSectionSetUp(s);
DMSetDefaultSection(dm, s);
PetscSectionDestroy(&s);

I will merge the necessary stuff into 'next' to make this work.