[petsc-users] Could not find make when building PETSc in Windows 7

Qin Lu lu_qin_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 24 10:33:43 CDT 2013

Hello,

I am trying to build PETSc in Windows 7 with following steps:

1. Installed cygwin 64-bit with python, make and other default packages under C:\cygwin64
2. Added C:\cygwin64\bin to Windows environmental variable Path.
3. Downloaded and unzipped PETSc 3.4.2.
4. Run mintty.exe to open a cygwin terminal.
5. In the cygwin terminal, under PETSc directory, run:  ./configure --with-cc='win32fe icl' --with-fc='win32fe ifort' --with-cxx='win32fe icl'

However, it gave an error "Could not locate the make utility on your system, make sure it is in your path or use --with-make=/fullpathnameofmake and run ./configure again".  I suppose it should use C:\cygwin64\bin\make.exe, which is already in path, but I still added  --with-make=/cvgdrive/cygwin64/bin in configure's option and run configure again, yet it gave the same error.

What should I do to let configure know the path of make?

Many thanks for your help,

Regard,
Qin