[petsc-users] memory use of a DMDA

Juha Jäykkä juhaj at iki.fi
Tue Oct 22 03:57:15 CDT 2013

Barry,

I seem to have touched a topic which goes way past my knowledge of PETSc
internals, but it's very nice to see a thorough response nevertheless. Thank
you. And Matthew, too.

After reading your suspicions about number of ranks, I tried with 1, 2 and 4
and the memory use indeed seems to go down from 1:

juhaj at dhcp071> CMD='import helpers; procdata=helpers._ProcessMemoryInfoProc();
print procdata.rss/2**20, "MiB /", procdata.os_specific[3][1]; from petsc4py
import PETSc; procdata=helpers._ProcessMemoryInfoProc(); print
procdata.rss/2**20, "MiB /", procdata.os_specific[3][1]; da =
PETSc.DA().create(sizes=[100,100,100],
proc_sizes=[PETSc.DECIDE,PETSc.DECIDE,PETSc.DECIDE], boundary_type=[3,0,0],
stencil_type=PETSc.DA.StencilType.BOX, dof=7, stencil_width=1,
comm=PETSc.COMM_WORLD); procdata=helpers._ProcessMemoryInfoProc(); print
procdata.rss/2**20, "MiB /", procdata.os_specific[3][1]'
juhaj at dhcp071> mpirun -np 1 python -c "$CMD"
21 MiB / 22280 kB
21 MiB / 22304 kB
354 MiB / 419176 kB
juhaj at dhcp071> mpirun -np 2 python -c "$CMD"
22 MiB / 23276 kB
22 MiB / 23020 kB
22 MiB / 23300 kB
22 MiB / 23044 kB
141 MiB / 145324 kB
141 MiB / 145068 kB
juhaj at dhcp071> mpirun -np 4 python -c "$CMD"
22 MiB / 23292 kB
22 MiB / 23036 kB
22 MiB / 23316 kB
22 MiB / 23060 kB
22 MiB / 23316 kB
22 MiB / 23340 kB
22 MiB / 23044 kB
22 MiB / 23068 kB
81 MiB / 83716 kB
82 MiB / 83976 kB
81 MiB / 83964 kB
81 MiB / 83724 kB

As one would expect, 4 ranks needs more memory than 2 ranks, but quite
unexpectedly, 1 rank needs more than 2! I guess you are right: the 1-rank-case
is not optimised and quite frankly, I don't mind: I only ever run small tests
with one rank. Unfortunately, trying to create the simplest possible scenario
to illustrate my point, I used a small DA and just one rank, precisely to
avoid the case where the excess memory would be due to MPI buffers or such.
Looks like my plan backfired. ;)

But even still, my 53 MiB lattice, without any vectors created, takes 280 or
320 MiB of memory – down to <6 from the original 6.6.

I will test with 3.3 later today if I have the time, but I'm pretty sure
things were "better" there.