[petsc-users] How to understand these error messages

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Oct 20 15:15:57 CDT 2013

  It is unfortunate IBM has perpetuated this error in their libraries and made it worse.

   You can, of course, work around it by making your application code far more complicated and manage the matrix assembly yourself but that is not a good use of your time or anyone's time. Plus how do you know that their bugging MPI won't bite you somewhere else, like in the new code you would need to write.

   You need to report this bug to IBM and they need to take it seriously, unfortunately if you are not the purchaser of the IBM you are running on they may not care (companies only care about paying customers who complain).

   Can you just use the Intel MPI mpi compilers/libraries? Or switch to some other system that is not from IBM? Better to just not use this machine until IBM straightens it out.

   Barry