[petsc-users] Geometric MG as Solver & Preconditioner for FEM/Spectral/FD

Shiva Rudraraju rudraa at umich.edu
Fri Oct 18 10:15:04 CDT 2013

>I did unstructured hexes.  You still haven't said what you'll use for relaxation.
 High-order discretizations tend to have poor h-ellipticity, so they either
need heavy smoothers or a correction based on a discretization with better
h-ellipticity.
Quite frankly, I was not aware of the poor h-ellipticity of higher order
elements and I was assuming I would use the regular GS/GMRES/etc for
relaxation. I looked up h-ellipticity of higher order elements and now this
adds to my worries :(. I may be asking for too much here.... but what do
you mean by heavy smoothers? or correction based on a discretization?.