[petsc-users] Geometric MG as Solver & Preconditioner for FEM/Spectral/FD

Shiva Rudraraju rudraa at umich.edu
Thu Oct 17 11:03:17 CDT 2013

Thanks Jed for the prompt reply.

> How do you distinguish "Lagrange" versus "Spectral" elements?  Are you referring
to nodal versus modal bases, choice of collocation quadrature, or something
else?
By Spectral Elements I mean spectral quadrilateral/hexahedral elements
based on tensor product lagrangian polynomials on Gauss Lobatto Legendre
points.

 >You could reorder your equations, but multicolor GS is not a very good or
representative algorithm on cache-based architectures, due to its poor
cache reuse.  I suggest just using standard GS smoothers (-pc_type sor with
default relaxation parameter of 1.0).
I plan to implement multicolor GS precisely to demonstrate its poor
performance as compared to other iterative and MG schemes, because in the
Phase Field community multicolor GS is still quite popular and lingers
around as a solver. The main point of this work is to clearly demonstrate
the ill-suitedness of GS for  these coupled transport problems.
So just wondering if there are any related examples showing multicolor GS
as a solver. Also, since you mentioned, are there any references which
demonstrate the poor cache reuse of multicolor GS or is it too obvious?...
just curious.

>Do you already have spectral element code or are you planning to write one
from scratch?  There are several unstructured FEM examples using DMPlex,
though they do not explicitly expose the tensor product that is
important for efficient high-order methods.  How would you plan to
precondition these things?

Sorry I forgot to mention..... I am only interested in structured quad/hex
elements. I have my old implementations of higher order Lagrange elements
and also used deal.ii's Spectral elements.... but for this work I will more
or less write one from scratch. So any pointers to efficient tensor grid
FEM implementation will really help me.

And thanks for your paper reference.

> That is just -ksp_type richardson.  Or are you talking about nonlinear
multigrid (-snes_type fas)?
Cool..... -snes_type fas is what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Shiva