[petsc-users] extract vector for a 2-D plane from a DM vector for a 3-D domain

Roc Wang pengxwang at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 16 10:47:45 CDT 2013

> From: jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
> To: pengxwang at hotmail.com; petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov
> Subject: RE: [petsc-users] extract vector for a 2-D plane from a DM vector for a 3-D domain
> Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 09:59:34 -0500
>
> Roc Wang <pengxwang at hotmail.com> writes:
> > Is it possible I have both cases? 1 a few planes in the same
> > communicator; 2 many planes to separate communicator.
>
> Yeah, just create the VecScatter however you like.

I studied some examples for VecScatter.  To my understand, the pathway of extracting the plane is through extracting indexes (IS idx_to) of the 2-D plane from the vector of the 3-D domain(IS idx_from). To do this, I have to create an array of index for IS idx_to and create the corresponding IS by ISCreateGeneral(). Am I right?  Thanks for your informative response.