[petsc-users] Writing a domain decomposition code with PETSc

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 4 15:40:28 CDT 2013

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Åsmund Ervik <asmund.ervik at ntnu.no> wrote:
>
>>  Is there any reason I should prefer Xdmf over Cgns? I think both use
>> hdf5 in the background.
>>

> I guess not. It was just easier for me to get Xdmf going. We have trial
> CGNS as well.

I don't think we have a CGNS writer, but DMPlex can read it.  Xdmf gives
you a little more flexibility in choosing a schema for the HDF5 file,
but you can put other stuff in CGNS files and Xdmf has its share of
shortcomings.  If you are happy with CGNS, I would say to use it and
report any issues you have.  We'll enhance the implementation so it can
do everything you need.