[petsc-users] Inhomogeneous laplacian

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 29 12:43:04 CST 2013

"iwaddington ." <iwaddington at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks Jed, so if I understood correctly in fact there is nothing to be
> done, since I was already recomputing the staggered values when passing
> from one node to its neighbour.

I think if you benchmark and don't do something spuriously wasteful,
you'll find that computing the averages is not really a bottleneck.
What happens if you replace the harmonic average with an arithmetic
average (trivially cheap)?  If that's a bottleneck, you can
unroll-and-jam your stencil operation and vectorize the division.