[petsc-users] question about LU decomposition of a conjugated matrix

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 22 12:36:33 CST 2013

Michael, your time zone is mistakenly set to UTC, though the time is
actually set to CST, so your mails appear out of order.

Michael Povolotskyi <mpovolot at purdue.edu> writes:

> I'm actually interested in implementing it.
> Could you, please, tell what has to be done in MatMatSolveTranspose()?
>
> By transpose I mean transpose and complex conjugation.

Some time ago, Barry proposed adding a function like
MatSetTransposeType(A,MAT_TRANSPOSE_HERMITIAN) that would cause
MatMultTranspose(), MatSolveTranspose(), etc., to use Hermitian
transpose.  The thought was that this was ultimately simpler to work
since the problem formulation usually dictates whether a complex matrix
uses a Hermitian transpose or not.  Does that sound reasonable to you?

I can see two implementation strategies.  One is to go into
MatLUFactor_SeqAIJ and set A->ops->transpose to a new function that
explicitly transposes the factors.  The other is to copy MatMatSolve and
modify to be MatMatSolveTranspose, along with an implementation
MatMatSolveTranspose_SeqAIJ (and external packages if relevant).