[petsc-users] PetscFEM fe vs. feAux vs. feBd

Geoffrey Irving irving at naml.us
Thu Nov 14 14:42:30 CST 2013

What is the difference between the fe and feAux fields in PetscFEM?
Do they (and feBd) have to refer to distinct PetscFE objects, or can I
reuse one set of finite element spaces?

In particular, based on snes ex12, it doesn't look like feBd contains
the logic for what the boundary is.  This information appears to be
extracted by DMPlexComputeResidualFEM and friends.  If so, does that
mean PetscFEM doesn't have support for several different boundary
routines evaluated over different parts of the boundary?  I don't
necessarily need this support at the moment, but I want to check
whether I'm reading the code correctly.

Thanks,
Geoffrey