[petsc-users] -ksp_rtol problem

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 11 12:41:08 CST 2013

On Nov 11, 2013, at 12:23 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Qiyue Lu <qiyuelu1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I made a mistake in privous email.
> in my output file, the KSP residual norm not the rtol is 1.0e-4 at the 1st iteration. My question is how this residual norm calculated? Is there any initial guess there? thanks
>
> The residual r for some approximate solution x is
>
>   r = b - Ax
>
> The initial residual uses the initial guess, often 0.

   Note that for left preconditioning, like the default GMRES in PETSc, the residual norm that is used is the preconditioned residual norm Br = B(b - Ax) which can be scaled differently from the unpreconditioned residual norm. See KPSSetPCSide(). You can run with -ksp_monitor_true_residual to see also the unpreconditioned residual.

   Barry