[petsc-users] PCILU does not work

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 31 23:13:16 CDT 2013

丁老师 <ztdepyahoo at 163.com> writes:

> My problem can be  solved sucessfully with the default ksp setting, but if i change the pc with
>  PCsetTye(pc,PCILU), it gives me the following error.
>

> Error mesage
>

> no supoort for the operation ofr this object type!
> matrix format mpiaij does not shave a build in PETSc ILU!

It perplexes me why people insist on re-typing error messages,
incompletely, introducing spelling errors in the process, instead of
pasting the whole thing.

Anyway, it's true that PETSc does not have native parallel ILU.  ILU is
used as a local solver in the default domain decomposition method.  You
can also try a parallel ILU from another package using run-time options.

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/linearsolvertable.html

Note that ILU is not a great parallel algorithm.