[petsc-users] Solving Poisson equation with multigrid

Michele Rosso mrosso at uci.edu
Fri May 17 14:41:17 CDT 2013

Hi,

I am successfully using PETSc (v3.3) in parallel to solve the Poisson
equation in 3D . The discretization is done by using finite difference
on a uniform structured grid.
So far I used the conjugate gradient method, but I would like to give a
try to  multigrid.
The documentation describes multigrid as a preconditioner only, thus I
would like to know if it is possible to use multigrid as a solver and,
if so, if you could give my some tips to start. I am using the DMDA
context to define matrix and vectors and my code is written Fortran.

Thank you,
Michele