[petsc-users] local Vec to global Vec and global 3-D array

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 16 11:33:45 CDT 2013

  All processes have a "subblock" of the entire array; with the local Vec the subblock has the ghost values, with the global Vec it does not have the ghost points. No process has the entire array. BUT the indexing INTO the array on each process is using the GLOBAL I,J,K indices so in some sense all processes have the entire array "virtually" but they can ONLY access their chunk, if they try to access outside of their chunk it will fail.

  Barry