[petsc-users] Variable Block Row format in PETSc

Longxiang Chen suifengls at gmail.com
Tue May 14 16:31:40 CDT 2013

To whom it may concern,

I use parmetis to partition a mesh for a sparse matrix.
Then I distribute the data to the  appropriate processors according to the
result of partition.

The sparse matrix is stored in Variable Block Row(VBR) format.
After the distribution, I want to call PETSc KSP solver to solve Ax = b.
I tried to convert VBR to AIJ or CSR format, but the data would be
re-distributed.

The ideal method is to keep the distribution result from parmetis.
For example, after parmetis, processor 0 has 0, 1, 4, and processor 1 has
2, 3, 5. I wish the PETSc would not change this distribution and solve Ax =
b.

Are there any approaches to call KSP solver in VBR format from PETSc?
Or any suggestions for solving Ax = b?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Longxiang Chen