[petsc-users] petsc binary vtk viewer

Dharmendar Reddy dharmareddy84 at gmail.com
Mon May 6 13:15:45 CDT 2013

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Dharmendar Reddy <dharmareddy84 at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >          I am seeing nan's at boundary locations for a plot over line
> data
> > on a 2D mesh. There are no nan's in the data obtained from solver.
> >
> > For example, When i click plot over line along y-axis in paraview, it
> > selects the y-coordiantes to be from
> >
> > -21.141444145 to 26.426805182  , The boundary Node at the positive end is
> > showing a nan.   If i change the end node to 26.426804  the nan goes away
> > and i get the expected value (which is zero, as per imposed boundary
> > condition).
> >
> > I have not seen this before with the ascii vtk writer in my fortran code.
> >
> > I am wondering if there is something i should be aware of petsc binary
> vtk
> > viewer.  I run the code on a 64 bit linux cluster. I am visualizing the
> vtk
> > file on a 32 bit paraview 3.10.1 on windows xp.
>
> 32/64-bit values shouldn't matter, but it's possible there is a bug with
> 64-bit-indices (I don't remember testing it).  Is the writing code
> valgrind-clean?  Is it reproducible?

  Hello, I ran the code a few times now, I get the same error in paraview.
I can see that there are no nan's in the data when i look at spreadsheet
view of the 2D. But nan's show up in plot over line.

Also, The following is the final output for valgrind. My code is in
fortran, based on valgrind, i think are no leaks in the program.

==18978==
==18978== HEAP SUMMARY:
==18978==     in use at exit: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
==18978==   total heap usage: 0 allocs, 0 frees, 0 bytes allocated
==18978==
==18978== All heap blocks were freed -- no leaks are possible
==18978==
==18978== For counts of detected and suppressed errors, rerun with: -v
==18978== Use --track-origins=yes to see where uninitialised values come
from
==18978== ERROR SUMMARY: 24076 errors from 1000 contexts (suppressed: 14
from 9)
Profiling timer expired

Dharmendar Reddy Palle
Graduate Student