[petsc-users] newbie questions on preconditioner LU

Ling Zou lingzou80 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 13:36:57 CST 2013

Thank you Matt.
I guess I got the impression that M is generally the same as A from reading
the manual.(PETSc Users Manual, Reversion 3.3, page 71, under 4.1 Using KSP)

"Typically the preconditioning matrix (i.e., the matrix from which the
preconditioner is to be constructed), Pmat, is the same as the matrix that
defines the linear system, Amat; however, occasionally these matrices
differ (for instance, when a preconditioning matrix is obtained from a
lower order method than that employed to form the linear system matrix)."

Best,

Ling