[petsc-users] Convergence problem with Krylov subspace methods

Rui Emanuel Ferreira da Silva rui.silva at uam.es
Wed Jan 9 09:04:55 CST 2013

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to you to ask some technical problems that I am dealing
with the use of PETSc.

The problem that I need to solve is a system of linear equations
(Ax=b). The matrix A is a banded matrix (five-point matrix) resulting
from the discretization of a second derivative in a 2D space.  In
other words, it is a pentadiagonal matrix, but the two outer bands are
separated from the three central bands.

This matrix is complex and is not hermitian (its actual shape is A= H
- E - i*delta, where H is a hermitian five-point matrix and E and
delta a real scalar). Its size is 1.8e7 x 1.8e7, thus the problem
cannot be solved with direct methods but with iterative methods.

For negative values of E, I have been able to solve the system using
PETSc with a Krylov subspace method, with no problems.
But for positive values, where the spectrum is quasi-degenerate, I
cannot solve it. I have tried the following iterative methods:

--> GMRES with the ILU preconditioner
--> BICG
--> BCGS

and convergence was not reached in any of the cases.

I have run out of ideas, so my question is: is it possible that you
suggest me any method which I could use to deal with such a problem?

Please forgive the intrussion if this question is not adequate in this
email list.

Thank you very much in advance,
Rui Silva.

Rui Silva
EMTCCM (European Master in Theoretical Chemistry and Computational Modelling)
UAM, Departamento de Química, Módulo 13
CAMPUS http://www.uam.es/departamentos/ciencias/quimica/spline/index.html