[petsc-users] Problems exceeding 192 million unknowns in FEM code

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 27 10:53:31 CST 2013

   This sounds like an OpenMPI issue with the matrix element communication and assembly process. In this process PETSc "stashes" any values set on the "wrong" process, then at MatAssemblyBegin() each process computes
how much data it is sending to each other process,  tells each other process how much data to expect (the receivers then post receives), then actually sends the data. We have used this code over many years on many systems so it is likely to be relatively bug free. My feeling is that the OpenMPI  hardware/software combination is getting overwhelmed with all the messages that need to be sent around.

   Since you are handling this communication completely differently with Trilinos it doesn't have this problem.

   Since we can't change the hardware the first thing to check is how much (what percentage) of matrix entries need to be stashed and moved between processes. Run the 100 by 100 by 100 on 8 cores with the -info option and send the resulting output (it may be a lot) to petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov (not petsc-users) and we'll show you how to determine how much data is being moved around. Perhaps you could also send the output from the successful 800 core run (with -info).

   Barry