[petsc-users] MATNEST with shell matrices

Boyce Griffith griffith at cims.nyu.edu
Thu Feb 21 18:22:08 CST 2013

On 2/21/13 7:11 PM, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Boyce Griffith <griffith at cims.nyu.edu
> <mailto:griffith at cims.nyu.edu>> wrote:
>

>     Yes there is a local and global size.  They are both 0.  :-)
>

> Heh, interesting. Most finite-dimensional vector spaces have a
> dimension. May as well use VecNestGetSubVec() when needed. I don't think
> there is any code that will short-circuit in the zero-size case, but I'd
> still encourage you to state a dimension that's not obviously bogus.

For better or for worse, the "size" of the wrapped data can change
dynamically.  Somehow it seems less dishonest to set the size to 0
instead of, e.g., 1.  At least when you get 0 you know that the size is
bogus!  :-)  We've been using this stuff for ... a while now, and it
hasn't caused any problems.

That said, I would prefer to have tighter integration with PETSc.  I
think that DMComposite is what I was thinking might work.

-- Boyce