[petsc-users] PETSc DAE solver

Shri abhyshr at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 20 14:39:02 CST 2013

On Feb 20, 2013, at 2:08 PM, Jin, Shuangshuang wrote:

> Hi, Shri, I was able to run the ex9bus.c code successfully with ‘mpirun –n 1 ex9bus’, but failed with ‘mpirun –n 2 ex9bus’ with the following message:
>
> [0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message ------------------------------------
> [0]PETSC ERROR: No support for this operation for this object type!
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Only for sequential runs!
> [0]PETSC ERROR: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Development HG revision: fab2442df69c95ef24bf6631a38c7dc028d7ee34  HG Date: Tue Feb 19 16:16:15 2013 -0600
> [0]PETSC ERROR: See docs/changes/index.html for recent updates.
> [0]PETSC ERROR: See docs/faq.html for hints about trouble shooting.
> [0]PETSC ERROR: See docs/index.html for manual pages.
> [0]PETSC ERROR: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> [0]PETSC ERROR: ex9bus on a arch-linux2-c-debug named olympus.local by d3m956 Wed Feb 20 11:36:02 2013
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Libraries linked from /pic/projects/ds/petsc-dev/arch-linux2-c-debug/lib
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Configure run at Wed Feb 20 11:01:15 2013
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Configure options
> [0]PETSC ERROR: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> [0]PETSC ERROR: main() line 807 in src/ts/examples/tutorials/power_grid/stability_9busex9bus.c
>
> Does that mean  the parallelized version of DAE solver in PETSc is not available yet? Or I missed some PETSc options to enable the function?
This example is written for a single processor only, it cannot be run in parallel.

> Another question is I also found two other examples in previous installed non-dev PETSc version:
> petsc-3.3-p6/src/ts/examples/tutorials/ex8.c and ex19.c.
These examples are in petsc-dev too.
ex8 is actually an ODE but it shows how to use the framework for implicit time-stepping solvers. ex19 is a DAE example.
> I felt that they are somewhat similar to my problem.
Its hard for me to tell what "my problem" means. What are you trying to solve?

> Do you think those two are useful examples to me as well? However, it seems like they are uniprocessor examples only too.
Yes these are all uniprocessor examples because they are really small. See ex17 for a parallel TS example.