[petsc-users] Communication time with threading enabled.

Gonçalo Albuquerque goncalo.albuquerque at insilicio.com
Thu Feb 14 06:58:57 CST 2013

Dear All,

I'm experimenting with PETSc hybrid MPI/OpenMP capabilities and I have run
a rather simple test case (2D magnetostatic) using PETSc compiled with both
OpenMPI and thread support (both PThreads and OpenMP) on a Ubuntu 12.04
system. I cannot figure out the results obtained when comparing runs made
using the same number of MPI processes (2) and specifying either no threads
(-threadcomm_type nothread) or 1 OpenMP thread (-threadcomm_type openmp
-threadcomm_nthreads 1). I attached the logs of both runs. It seems that
the communication time has literally exploded. A grep over the logs gives:

No threading:
Average time for MPI_Barrier(): 1.38283e-06
Average time for zero size MPI_Send(): 7.03335e-06

1 OpenMP thread:
Average time for MPI_Barrier(): 0.00870218
Average time for zero size MPI_Send(): 0.00614798

The same things is occurring when running ksp ex5 (see attached logs).

Any ideas as to what I'm missing?

Many thanks in advance,

Gonçalo