[petsc-users] Help with ML/BoomerAMG

Gaetan Kenway gaetank at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 09:41:32 CDT 2013

It is an SA turbulence model and the discrete adjoint computed exactly with
AD. Certainly the grids are highly stretched in the BL since the grids are
resolving the viscous sublayer (y+ < 1) and the  Reynolds numbers are on
the order of  10's of millions. I tend  only to see this behaviour at
higher mach numbers when stronger shocks start to appear.  For example, the
adjoint  system may solve  fine at M=0.80, and fail to converge at M=0.85.
 For these RANS cases, the non-linear  solution  is solved using only RK
with multigrid.

It is entirely possible a different preconditioner may not help at all, but
there's not much else you can do.

Gaetan