[petsc-users] Downloding petsc-dev with git does not work.

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 23 06:15:32 CDT 2013

Bao Kai <paeanball at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I failed in downloading petsc-dev just now.  The following is the
> message given.
>
> petsc-dev]$ git clone https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc.git
> Initialized empty Git repository in /home/baok/software/petsc-dev/petsc/.git/
> fatal: https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc.git/info/refs download error
> - The requested URL returned error: 403
>
> I can visit the webpage https://bitbucket.org/petsc/.
>
> Could anyone tell me what is wrong?

You have a very old version of Git that doesn't understand "smart" HTTP.
Either upgrade Git (recommended and easy), use SSH to access the server
(must have a bitbucket account and have uploaded your ssh public key)

  $ git clone git at bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc.git

or clone from the mirror that supports "git://" protocol:

  $ git clone git://github.com/petsc/petsc.git