[petsc-users] Eigenvalue Problem, Dirichlet BC and DMPlex

Dharmendar Reddy dharmareddy84 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 18:36:35 CDT 2013

Hello,
         I need to assemble the operators for an eigenvalue problem.
Consider for example a 1D Schrodinger equation

-div(grad(psi)) = E psi   for x in [0, L] and psi(0) = 0 and psi(L) = 0

I understand how to get the 1D mesh into a DM object.

I was thinking to create the default section using 1 scalar field per node
add boundary points.

Use DMCreateMatrix to get the operators.

Now if i do element by element assembly,
Do i need to use matsetclosure or masetvalues?
how are the elements with boundary nodes handled ?
Are the values for boundary nodes ignored ?

I will pass the assembled operators to slepc to solve the eigenvalue
problem.

Thanks
Reddy

Dharmendar Reddy Palle