[petsc-users] Any changes in ML usage between 3.1-p8 -> 3.3-p6?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 5 13:52:39 CDT 2013

On Apr 5, 2013, at 9:34 AM, Jozsef Bakosi <jbakosi at lanl.gov> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> In switching from 3.1-p8 to 3.3-p6, keeping the same ML ml-6.2.tar.gz, I get
> indefinite preconditioner with the newer PETSc version. Has there been anything
> substantial changed around how PCs are handled, e.g. in the defaults?
>
> I know this request is pretty general, I would just like to know where to start
> looking, where changes in PETSc might be clobbering the (supposedly same)
> behavior of ML.

   The two versions of PETSc are suppose to work with the same ML.

   Run both with -ksp_view -ksp_monitor_true_residual (forcing KSPSolve to not generate any error by using a -ksp_max_its 2 or something small) and see if there are any differences in the output.

   Feel free to send us the two outputs if different if you have questions. I cannot think of anything, off the cuff that would cause a change.

   Barry