[petsc-users] DM arbitrary assignment of ranks

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 3 16:53:41 CDT 2013

   Carlos,

     It is not clear what you want. As Matt noted you can use the lx,ly,lz arguments to control the sizes of the subdomains if that is what you want.

     PETSc always uses the "natural ordering of processes" for the MPI communicator passed into the DMDA creation routine. In 2d  MPI rank 0 gets  i coordinates 0 to m_0 - 1, j coordinates 0 to n_0 -1; rank 1 gets i coordinates m_0 to m_1 -1, j coordinates 0 to n_0 - 1 etc. I believe the users manual has a graphic describing this.   Say we have 6 MPI processes and have partitioned them for the DMDA as 3 in the i coordinates and 2 in the j coordinates this looks like

    3    4    5
    0    1    2

   If you wish to have different MPI ranks for each domain you need to write some MPI code. You construct a new MPI communicator with the same processes as the MPI communicator passed to the DMDA create routine but with the other ordering you want to use. Now you just use MPI_Comm_rank() of the new MPI communicator to "label" each subdomain.  So you could (if you wanted to) label them as

    1   3    5
    0   2    4

relative to the other communicator.

   Barry