[petsc-users] DM arbitrary assignment of ranks

Carlos Pachajoa cpachaj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 16:24:54 CDT 2013

Hello,

                            I'm working on a CFD simulator that will be
used for educational purposes.

I'm using PETSc to solve a Poisson equation for the pressure, using DM
and a 5-point stencil. I would like to extend it to work on parallel.

Since the code will also be used to teach some fundamental concepts of
parallel programming, it would be ideal if the user can set which rank
deals with each subdomain. Out of the DM, one can obtain the corners of
the region corresponding to a rank, however, I have not found a function
to assign a processor to a region. I know that you can assign a set of
rows to any processor when explicitly setting the columns of a matrix,
but I wonder if this is also possible using DM.

Thank you for your time and your hints.

Best regards,

Carlos