[petsc-users] problem with spooles solver

De Groof, Vincent Frans Maria Vincent.De-Groof at uibk.ac.at
Tue Sep 25 09:59:16 CDT 2012

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with the spooles direct solver. I have it working, but unfortunately it seems to be lacking robustness. I'm dealing with the stiffness matrices of a FE program, where some iterations converge, and for others I get an error. It might be important to mention I'm dealing with ill-conditioned matrices (condition number ~10^10). Any suggestions to solve this problem?

thanks.

[0]PETSC ERROR: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0]PETSC ERROR: Caught signal number 11 SEGV: Segmentation Violation, probably memory access out of range
[0]PETSC ERROR: Try option -start_in_debugger or -on_error_attach_debugger
[0]PETSC ERROR: or see http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html#valgrind[0]PETSC ERROR: or try http://valgrind.org on GNU/linux and Apple Mac OS X to find memory corruption errors
[0]PETSC ERROR: likely location of problem given in stack below
[0]PETSC ERROR: Note: The EXACT line numbers in the stack are not available,
[0]PETSC ERROR:       INSTEAD the line number of the start of the function
[0]PETSC ERROR:       is given.
[0]PETSC ERROR: [0] MatFactorNumeric_SeqSpooles line 132 src/mat/impls/aij/seq/spooles/spooles.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: [0] MatCholeskyFactorNumeric line 2950 src/mat/interface/matrix.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: [0] PCSetUp_Cholesky line 92 src/ksp/pc/impls/factor/cholesky/cholesky.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: [0] PCSetUp line 810 src/ksp/pc/interface/precon.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: [0] KSPSetUp line 182 src/ksp/ksp/interface/itfunc.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: [0] KSPSolve line 351 src/ksp/ksp/interface/itfunc.c