[petsc-users] petsc example with known scalability

Mohammad Mirzadeh mirzadeh at gmail.com
Fri May 18 18:06:29 CDT 2012

Hi guys,

I'm trying to generate scalability plots for my code and do profiling and
fine tuning. In doing so I have noticed that some of the factors affecting
my results are sort of subtle. For example, I figured, the other day, that
using all of the cores on a single node is somewhat (50-60%) slower when
compared to using only half of the cores which I suspect is due to memory
bandwidth and/or other hardware-related issues.

So I thought to ask and see if there is any example in petsc that has been
tested for scalability and has been documented? Basically I want to use
this test example as a benchmark to compare my results with. My own test
code is currently a linear Poisson solver on an adaptive quadtree grid and
involves non-trivial geometry (well basically a circle for the boundary but
still not a simple box).

Thanks,
Mohammad