[petsc-users] Using direct solvers in parallel

Thomas Witkowski thomas.witkowski at tu-dresden.de
Tue May 15 02:25:18 CDT 2012

I made some comparisons of using umfpack, superlu, superlu_dist and
mumps to solve systems with sparse matrices arising from finite element
method. The size of the matrices range from around 50000 to more than 3
million unknowns. I used 1, 2, 4, 8 and 16 nodes to make the benchmark.
Now, I wonder that in all cases the sequential umfpack was the fastest
one. So even with 16 cores, superlu_dist and mumps are slower. Can
anybody of you confirm this observation? Are there any other parallel
direct solvers around which are more efficient?

Thomas