[petsc-users] Multigrid

Karthik Duraisamy dkarthik at stanford.edu
Tue May 1 15:37:00 CDT 2012

Hello,

        I have been using PETSc for a couple of years with good success, but lately as my linear problems have become stiffer (condition numbers of the order of 1.e20), I am looking to use better preconditioners. I tried using PCMG with all the default options (i.e., I just specified my preconditioner as PCMG and did not add any options to it) and I am immediately seeing better convergence.

        What I am not sure of is why? I would like to know more about the default parameters (the manual is not very explicit) and more importantly, want to know why it is working even when I haven't specified any grid levels and coarse grid operators. Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

        Also, ultimately I want to use algebraic multigrid so is PCML a better option than BoomerAMG? I tried BoomerAMG with mixed results.

Thanks,
Karthik

--

Karthik Duraisamy