[petsc-users] Convergence behavior of different solvers

Alexander Grayver agrayver at gfz-potsdam.de
Wed Mar 21 04:03:39 CDT 2012

Hello,

Plotting values of relative residual norm versus iteration I noticed
that these curves have different behavior. For instance, ones I got with
BiCGStab are oscillatory and rather noisy with large jumps within few
iterations. Curves for QMR are smooth, however it's usual that they
stagnate for ~10-20 iterations and then go down further. Same
preconditioner is applied for both and both methods are Lanczos based,
so I don't understand this.
I'm wondering is this just my specific case or there is general
explanation for that?

--
Regards,
Alexander