[petsc-users] [petsc-maint #107932] run a simple example ex19 in src/snes/examples/tutorials

Xiangze Zeng zengshixiangze at 163.com
Tue Mar 13 09:25:27 CDT 2012

Hi, Matt.

I get it. I just test a so little system. I'll try a larger one.

Zeng

在 2012-03-13 22:03:12,"Matthew Knepley" <knepley at gmail.com> 写道:
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Xiangze Zeng <zengshixiangze at 163.com> wrote:

Hi, Jed.
At the beginning and end of  the codes for setting the matrices values, I add "printf", and compute the time of this period. It is much longer than that when I don't use the GPU. I just guess the time is used for copping data. My PCTYPE is sor. And 2000 iterations.  Do you have any suggestion about this?

1) You do not have to guess. Use -log_summary, and there are explicit events for copying to the GPU

2) GPUs only really become effective for large systems due to this overhead. I suggest looking at the
    performance and overhead as a function of system size.

   Matt

Zeng

在 2012-03-13 20:12:09,"Jed Brown" <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> 写道: