[petsc-users] request suggestions for most appropriate eigenvalue solver

Giacomo Mulas gmulas at oa-cagliari.inaf.it
Thu Jul 19 10:49:19 CDT 2012

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, Jose E. Roman wrote:

> Yes, we will try to have this included in the release. I will come back to
> you in a week or so.

Great! I also found an additional paper that describes a modified Davidson
method for finding eigenvectors with the largest component in a given
subspace (non only in one given starting vector, but in the subspace spanned
by possibly more than one), starting from lowest eigenvalues but without
having to get to convergence all eigenvectors in order of eigenvalues.  This
appears to be even closer to what I would want (what I tried to describe in
my initial email):

W. Butscher, W.E. Kammer (1976) Journal of Computational Physics 20, 313

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas at oa-cagliari.inaf.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916