[petsc-users] Outputting Petsc data to Visit

Jeff Wiens jwiens at sfu.ca
Mon Jul 9 14:11:22 CDT 2012

I am storing a multidimensional solution to a pde in a petsc vector
using a distributed array. I would like to output this vector at
different time-steps so that it can visualized in VisIt. I want to
know the recommended way of doing this in petsc 3.2-p7.

I assumed that the HDF5 viewer would be the most appropriate option.
However, I am running into several obstacles when using it:

- I can't get PetscViewerHDF5SetTimestep/PetscViewerHDF5IncrementTimestep/PetscViewerHDF5PushGroup
to work.
- I can't find a way to include the spatial coordinates into the hdf5
file (and for it to be used by visit).
- It is not immediate obvious to me how a vector field should be saved
so it is understood as a vector field in visit.

First, I would like to know how other users are outputting petsc data
for VisIt. Secondly, for users using HDF5, has anyone run into similar
issues.

Jeff