[petsc-users] Adapting MatMult and PCMG functions in matrix-free method.

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 08:45:06 CDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Abdul Hanan Sheikh
<hanangul12 at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> Dear developers and users,
> Summer greetings.
> We have few question listen below:
>
> 1.
> The first question is about adapting " MatMult " function in matrix-free
> method.
> We intend to incorporate a KSP context inside "MatMult" . The immediate
> question is how to
> provide more than one matrices as input.

You provide extra data through the context for the MATSHELL

> Is this idea of incorporating a KSP context inside "MatMult" function
> workable ? Does it make any confrontation
> with philosophy of development of Petsc. ?

I am not sure you want this. Do you think PCKSP can do what you want? There
is not enough information here to help us answer.

> 2.
> An other advance level feedback is needed.
>  Re-implementing PCMG function { mg.c } will lead any violation of
> philosophy of Petsc-development ??

Again, there is not enough information. Can you do what you want by just
replacing the monitors?