[petsc-users] [petsc-dev] Getting 2d array with updated ghost values from DM global vector

Blaise Bourdin bourdin at lsu.edu
Tue Jul 3 02:52:52 CDT 2012

On Jul 3, 2012, at 4:10 AM, Barry Smith wrote:

>   Blaise,
>
>    I don't understand why the patch does anything:
>
> -  *ierr = VecRestoreArray(*v,0);if (*ierr) return;
> +  PetscScalar *fa;
> +  *ierr = F90Array1dAccess(a,PETSC_SCALAR,(void**)&fa PETSC_F90_2PTR_PARAM(ptrd));
> +  *ierr = VecRestoreArray(*v,&fa);if (*ierr) return;
>   *ierr = F90Array1dDestroy(&a,PETSC_SCALAR PETSC_F90_2PTR_PARAM(ptrd));
>
> All that passing &fa into VecRestoreArray() does is cause fa to be zeroed. Why would that have any affect on anything?

Not sure either, I quite don't understand this code, but I noticed that the logic of VecRestoreArrayF90 was different from that of DMDAVecRestoreArrayF90

src/vec/vec/interface/f90-custom/zvectorf90.c:33
  PetscScalar *fa;
  *__ierr = F90Array1dAccess(ptr,PETSC_SCALAR,(void**)&fa PETSC_F90_2PTR_PARAM(ptrd));if (*__ierr) return;
  *__ierr = F90Array1dDestroy(ptr,PETSC_SCALAR PETSC_F90_2PTR_PARAM(ptrd));if (*__ierr) return;
  *__ierr = VecRestoreArray(*x,&fa);

Why aren't the calls to F90Array1dAccess and F90Array1dDestroy necessary in the context of DMDAVecGetArrayF90?

Blaise